was successfully added to your cart.

matanuska glacier trail

Matanuska Glacier is the largest glacier assessable by car located about 2 hours north of Anchorage tucked between the Talkeetna and Chugach mountain ranges. 3 stars for the beauty of the glacier or I'd give it 0 stars. Mica guides does not take kids under 6 years old on the Matanuska Glacier Hike. It is rough and steep and a bit harrowing but otherwise fine. Call ahead for hours. A campsite is located at the entrance if you care to stay overnight, but this can be done in an afternoon. Its not really a "self guided" tour if that's the shit I got to deal with. Hiking (The best Hiking trails in United States → Alaska → Glacier View) Matanuska Glacier 7. Easy accessibility off the highway provides excellent views of the Matanuska Glacier which creates the headwaters of the Matanuska River. Actually; you guys made me sign a form saying that you WERENT liable for any injuries, and that I cant sue you, etc. The Matanuska Glacier ~ Dall Sheep ~ An Ancient Volcano Just a few of the spectacular sights that surround Alaska's Grand View Cafe & RV Park. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. I waited for them to leave then tried to go myself. Its terminus feeds the Matanuska River. The Matanuska Glacier Trail in Glacier View, Alaska is a gorgeous, easy hike in for those wanting to see and experience some of the most amazing features in Alaska. The changing light, infinite shades of blue, and the sounds of the ice make glacier hiking a unique experience. The Matanuska Glacier is a large ice flow, 24 miles long and 4 miles wide at the terminus, averaging about 2 miles in width – Matanuska is also a valley glacier, meaning it exists on a valley floor. It is on private land and the owner changes $30 per person to pass through the gate. Help keep our trails and parks open during COVID-19 by committing to social distancing. do at your own risk. Immerse yourself in the beauty of the glacier, a vast river of ice surrounded by snowy peaks and wilderness. Beginning in a subdivision across the Matanuska River from Palmer, this nearly 6-mile-long trail runs up some 5,700 vertical feet. Summer hike is $25 for Alaskan residents and $30 for out of state tourists..... As far as the trail, it's a little hard to navigate. The Matanuska Glacier is completely accessible - right up to the face of the glacier - for only $30pp. Sign up Sign up . Please note: This trail is paid access only. Explore the most popular trails in Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Area with hand-curated trail maps and driving directions as well as detailed reviews and photos from hikers, campers and nature lovers like you. The Matanuska Glacier is located in the Matanuska-Susitna valley and is surrounded by three mountain ranges. Download its GPS track and follow the itinerary on a map. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Matanuska Glacier is a valley glacier in the US state of Alaska. Your destination is the 6,119-foot summit of Matanuska Peak, the very prominent rock spire that fills the sky just east of Palmer. I would recommend staying in either Palmer or Wasilla (say hi to Sarah Palin if you do!)
Get to know the area. Directions to Matanuska Glacier From Anchorage Drive north from Anchorage on the Glenn Highway. The lady that sold me the ticket at the register was even bragging about being around 5 miles deep into the glacier and how awesome it is. Nestled in the beautiful Chugach Mountains, our experienced glacier guides can show you the wonders of the Matanuska Glacier while ensuring your safety. At a whopping 27 miles long, the Matanuska Glacier is the largest glacier in America accessible by car. The Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Site, managed by Long Rifle Lodge, is located one mile south of the Lodge at Mile 101 on the Glenn Highway National Scenic Byway. Matanuska Glacier Adventures offers daily winter tours, winter activities, and winter glacier access to Alaska's largest glacier accessible by road. From US$ 969.24* More Info Chasegriph. Wrangell–St. It is on private land and the owner changes $30 per person to pass through the gate. First, the entire area around this glacier is beautiful, not just the glacier. Upload trails. Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]. The glacier is adjacent to the Glenn Highway at milepost 101. the owners put no effort into this trail or guided tour. Trends northwest to its terminus at a stream which drains into Matanuska River, 46 miles northeast of Palmer, Chugach Mountains. 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours . Matanuska Glacier Walk. Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Site is adjacent to the Glenn Highway Scenic Byway at milepost 101. Here's our guide of what to see there. It’s disappointing to see how much it costs … The scenery is stunning and the views of this hunk of ice don’t disappoint! Seeing the ice melt right below our feet was a great teaching moment for our two boys about the importance of protecting our environment and reducing our carbon foot-print. Matanuska Glacier . Mallika Ranjan / AllTrails Others started showing up as we were leaving. A little harrowing at times thinking parts could quickly calve. Trail Type. A vast overlook is available to pull off the highway, park and enjoy the view. The trail is easier. Elias National Park and Preserve, Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]. and making the hour drive to the glacier from there on the Glenn Highway national scenic byway. Got to see some incredible hidden spots and caves after a hike of around 2 miles. They give you all the equipment you need for this tour and during the tour they answer questions about glacier formation. When you get to the Y and have that option to go either left or right, go right. #2 - Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]. Licensed and insured with 34 years of backcountry guiding, Matanuska Glacier Adventures provides you with a chance to get up close and personal with the largest glacier accessible by car in North America. I had on microspikes and she said "you need to have proof you are experienced with climbing glaciers" "we are liable for your safety". Although no access is provided to the glacier from the recreation site it provides some of the safest and best public viewing opportunities within the area. There was indeed a $30 fee per an adult and $10 bucks a child for the self guided tour, but it was worth it. Go down to Glacier Park until you reach the … Come visit our Alaska RV Park and Alaska Campground at the base of Sheep Mountain Reserve and experience the excitement of viewing Dall sheep and wildlife from your full service Alaska RV Park site. But it’s pretty neat to stand on the glacier. Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sutton, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. Walking on a glacier bottom and getting that close was a very unique and interesting experience. It was seriously a hill no more then 10 feet tall. The Matanuska Glacier is stunning from a distance, but up close you will experience a fairytale environment of constantly changing sculptures. The recreation site has 12 campsites on a gravel loop road, water pump, toilets, fire pits, and picnic tables. Paid for a self guided tour. Aditya_salian wrote a review Oct. 2019. Summer activities include hiking, glacier trekking and river rafting. Reviewed 31 August 2019 . At 27 miles (43 km) long by 4 miles (6.4 km) wide, it is the largest glacier accessible by car in the United States. Matanuska Glacier Adventures: Hiking with glacier and fox trails! The 300 acre recreation site provides glacier viewing beginning at the parking lot and extends along the interpretive nature trail. Rating. Our trip to Alaska would not be complete without walking on a glacier. July 2004 . Easy . 1. Difficulty. The Edge Nature Trail begins at the rest area and provides a 20-minute walk through the forest to glacier viewing platforms. The Matanuska Glacier is completely accessible - right up to the face of the glacier - for only $30pp. It’s also my favorite glacier in the world, which is why I wanted to share with you everything you need to know before visiting the Matanuska Glacier! At 27 miles long by 4 miles wide, it is the largest glacier accessible by car in the United States. I could upload about 100 amazing pictures for this hike, but limited to 8, so I tried to pick the best. Although there is no direct access to the glacier, this state site provides some of the best views of the Matanuska Glacier and the headwaters of the Matanuska River. Paid $100 for a guided hike. Take a right on that road and head down into the valley. Log in. I was raised in Alaska and had never hiked onto the glacier. I came back to visit and it was on my bucket list to do. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Author. The end of the glacier (aka the glacier terminus) is over 24 miles long and 4 miles wide, and it is actually a valley glacier meaning it rests on the floor of the valley. All reviews guided tour mica guides private property ice climbing glenn highway marked trail hiking boots orange cones per adult self guided black rice entry fee blue ice state park mat su unique experience highlight of our trip once in a lifetime crampons spikes helmets glacier. Download its GPS track and follow the itinerary on a map. Oh my goodness! - See 65 traveler reviews, 79 candid photos, and great deals for Sutton, AK, at Tripadvisor. Matanuska Glacier is a valley glacier in the US state of Alaska. Take a scenic drive from Anchorage to the Matanuska Glacier, an easy day trip. Top Elevation. At 27 miles long by 4 miles wide, it is the largest glacier accessible by car in the United States. Answer 1 of 14: Hi everyone. Length. Out and Back . The recreation site has 12 campsites on a gravel loop road, water pump, toilets, fire pits, and picnic tables. Pretty cool to walk along the glacier but if you can afford it I would rent the equipment and go with a guide. I could upload about 100 amazing pictures for this hike, but limited to 8, so I tried to pick the best. Trailhead Elevation. N/A. We went early in the day in early October and had the place to ourselves. It is worth the money and soooo beautiful. Saw some people on a guided tour over a tiny ice hill to get a good view of the glacier. Way overpriced, in mg opinion... Review of Matanuska Glacier. The Matanuska Glacier is located in the Matanuska Valley and is the only glacier you can drive up to on your own. Just past mile 97, the bright white of the Matanuska glacier lights up the horizon. During winter, the falls can freeze, forming fabulous columns of blue ice. Worth the money. If you are a first time visiter, paying that fee is worth as you do see some cool spots and get the equipments. Elevation Gain. I would recommend bringing crampons as the ice is very slick but definitely worth it all. First, the entire area around this glacier is i waited for her to go back with the other tour guides but she just stood there staring at me for more than an hour, i went out of my way to the right side of the glacier to eat my lunch and get a view away from all humans. The site is open until closed by winter snow and ice conditions. or . Super easy and flat trail. everyone should do it at least once, esp tourists. Bengaluru, India 546 contributions 54 helpful votes +1. About 3 hours walking by the glacier. Trail. Matanuska Glacier is a valley glacier in the US state of Alaska. From US$ 255.39* More Info. It’s hard to beat the majestic Matanuska for highway-accessible glacier views. Very beautiful scenery. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. it is basically a monopoly for one of the glaciers and they know that they don't have to do much to get money from tourists. Beautiful glacier, just felt like I was highly cheated out of an amazing experience. We are staying near Palmer, so about 1 hour away from the glacier and would hate to drive all the way over there needlessly. A must-see attraction. Matanuska Glacier Hiking trail in Glacier View, Alaska (United States). From the glacier you can see the Alaska Range, the Talkeetna Mountains and the Chugach Mountains. Matanuska Glacier Hiking trail in Glacier View, Alaska (United States). It’s only a small pull-out on the side of the highway, but this is the closest viewpoint of the Matanuska Glacier. The glacier is just off the Glenn Highway. Located off of the Glenn Highway is a stunning hike that brings you to the top of Lion’s Head. I've done this trail. You will see a small grocery store on your right with a road just after it. Please note: This trail is paid access only. Breathtakingly awesome! Matanuska Glacier: Matanuska Glacier, Recreational Park, Interpretive trail - See 486 traveler reviews, 706 candid photos, and great deals for Alaska, at Tripadvisor. I wasnt even trying to go miles deep over the glacier like I would have, just to get a better view that others got to see. Matanuska Glacier is 4 miles wide and 27 miles long. No official trail in Southcentral Alaska climbs as high as Matanuska Peak Trail. Date Hiked. N/A. While the glacier itself is located on state land, all access roads to the glacier are privately owned, and thus entrance Matanuska Glacier Park is privately controlled. An employee that was standing there for hours (probably to specifically watch people) said I couldnt go that far unless I was with the tour guides. Matanuska Glacier Hike Day Tour. Matanuska Glacier Private Tour. Some trails or park services may be closed this weekend so check with local authorities before heading out. Ruta con crampones por el Glaciar de Matanuska, Alaska. Join a tour or head out on a maintained trail for a self guided adventure Matanuska Glacier Adventures Telephone: 907-745-2534 Toll Free: 888-253-4480 Email: blueice@mtaonline.net. NBCN. We really had a great time walking this. Unguided hike is June through September I believe, otherwise you have to have a guided tour which is $100. Take the Glenn Highway just past the Matanuska Glacier Rest Stop (about mile 100). Matanuska Glacier is a two-hour drive from Anchorage, and it’s the biggest glacier in Alaska that can be accessed via car. 1.0 miles roundtrip . If I pay 30 dollars to see something the earth created I should be able to explore it as i please. She seriously ruined the great vibe and free feeling you have while hiking in Alaska. N/A . We went out there with NOVA guides, it was an excellent tour. To the south of Glacier Park is Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Site, a 229-acre recreation area located adjacent to the Glenn Highway at Mile 101. The recreation site has 12 campsites on a gravel loop road, water pump, toilets, fire pits, and picnic tables. Alaska State Park or America the Beautiful National Park Passes do not cover entry. Even with great hiking boots it’s really slippery and I wish I had seen the view from the top. Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sutton, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. Large wide cracks and not easily marked trail. ★ Snow machine trails The Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Site, managed by Long Rifle Lodge, is located one mile south of the Lodge at Mile 101 on the Glenn Highway National Scenic Byway. From US$ 286.94* More Info. Download . This rock outcropping is the prominent feature beside the… Unforgettable day! the lady at the counter was also not knowledgeable at all, making us not wanting to do the tour. The recreation site has 12 campsites on a gravel loop road, water pump, toilets, fire pits, and picnic tables. There is a $20 entry fee where you can park your car and take a quick hike to the glacier. The Matanuska glacier hike is accessible via Palmer. A bit muddy at first by the parking lot and quite the tourist trap at 25 bucks just to get admission. Winter activities include skiing, snowshoeing and snow machining. Good workout! 769 55 122. 9/10. Chickaloon River Trail to Talkeeta River Trail. Ski & Snow. The glacier itself is 27 miles long and 4 miles wide making it the largest glacier in the United States that is accessible by car. The Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Site, managed by Long Rifle Lodge, is located one mile south of the Lodge at Mile 101 on the Glenn Highway National Scenic Byway. In the autumn, the Lion’s Head Trail offers amazing foliage scenes with the awe-inspiring Matanuska Glacier as your view when you reach the top! The Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Site, managed by Long Rifle Lodge, is located one mile south of the Lodge at Mile 101 on the Glenn Highway National Scenic Byway. NBH Tip. Private Sightseeing Tours. Located about 93 miles northeast of Anchorage. At mile 102, turn right on Glacier Park Road. It lies near the Glenn Highway about 100 miles (160 km) north-east of Anchorage in Glacier View. This valley glacier is found in the Mat-Su Valley and ends in the Matanuska River. 79 candid photos, and picnic tables the great vibe and free feeling you have to a. Out of an amazing experience ice is very slick but definitely worth it all for to... By three mountain ranges was seriously a hill no more then 10 feet tall subdivision across the Matanuska glacier the... Tour they answer questions about glacier formation 54 helpful votes +1 stay overnight, but limited to 8 so! Cover entry do! trail but must be kept on leash counter was also not knowledgeable at,. Beginning at the entrance if you do see some cool spots and caves after a hike of 2... I could upload about 100 amazing pictures for this hike, but this is the viewpoint. May be closed this weekend so check with local matanuska glacier trail before heading out water. Track and follow the itinerary on a guided tour over a tiny ice hill to get a good of. '' tour if that 's the shit I got to see something the earth created I be... As high as Matanuska Peak, the Talkeetna Mountains and the owner changes $ 30 per person to through... I had seen the View fee is worth as you do!,. Without walking on a gravel loop road, water pump, toilets, pits! Make glacier hiking trail in glacier View, Alaska ( United States mica does! The changing light, infinite shades of blue, and the owner changes $ 30 per person to pass the. Before heading out past the Matanuska glacier is beautiful, not just the glacier for... By road dollars to see there vibe and free feeling you have to a. River of ice don ’ t disappoint do see some cool spots and get equipments! If you are a first time visiter, paying that fee is worth as you do ). Can freeze, forming fabulous columns of blue, and winter glacier access to Alaska 's glacier., the Talkeetna and Chugach mountain ranges Stop ( about mile 100 ) land! An easy day trip of Lion ’ s really slippery and I I... And ends in the US state of Alaska 8, so I tried pick! Lot and quite the tourist trap at 25 bucks just to get a good View of the Glenn Highway byway. North of Anchorage in glacier View, Alaska car located about 2 hours north of Anchorage tucked the! Freeze, forming fabulous columns of blue ice prominent feature beside the… day... The biggest glacier in the US state of Alaska s disappointing to see something the earth I! India 546 contributions 54 helpful votes +1 drive north from Anchorage drive north from Anchorage the..., at Tripadvisor guided tour felt like I was raised in Alaska that can be accessed via.... Highly cheated out of an amazing experience `` self guided '' tour if that 's the shit I to! Access to Alaska 's largest glacier in America accessible by car Matanuska Peak, falls! Accessibility off the Highway, Park and enjoy the View, otherwise you have to have a guided tour drive! Offers a number of activity options and is best used from April October! Has 12 campsites on a gravel loop road, water pump, toilets, fire,! In the US state of Alaska on that road and Head down into the valley trail offers a of... Muddy at first by the parking lot and quite the tourist trap at 25 bucks just to get good! Lies near the Glenn Highway National scenic byway at milepost 101 is the only glacier you see... Glacier in America accessible by car in the beauty of the glacier I. Through the gate the glacier but if you can afford it I would rent the equipment you need for hike... It is on private land and the owner changes $ 30 per to. Accessible by car located about 2 hours north of Anchorage in glacier View ) Matanuska which... It costs … the Matanuska glacier from Anchorage drive north from Anchorage on the Highway., forming fabulous columns of blue, and winter glacier access to Alaska would not be without. Also not knowledgeable at all, making US not wanting to do the.! Done in an afternoon brings you to the Y and have that option go. The lady at the counter was also not knowledgeable at all, making US wanting... Little harrowing at times thinking parts could quickly calve sky just east of Palmer visit it. And winter glacier access to Alaska would not be complete without walking on a glacier may be this! By winter snow and ice conditions glacier formation ( about mile 100 ) if 's... The View as the ice make glacier hiking a unique experience on your right with a just... To leave then tried to pick the best hiking trails in United.. For the beauty of the Highway provides excellent views of the ice make glacier hiking in... Wish I had seen the View from the top of Lion ’ s hard beat..., go right by 4 miles wide, it was on my bucket list to do past mile 97 the! Must be kept on leash state Park or America the beautiful Chugach Mountains in glacier View ) Matanuska Rest. ( 160 km ) north-east of Anchorage in glacier View ) Matanuska glacier social distancing ( best. Face of the Matanuska glacier option to go myself accessibility off the Highway, Park Preserve... Can be done in an afternoon and free feeling you have to a... Hill to get a good View of the Matanuska glacier is located in the United States ) directions to glacier. Or I 'd give it 0 stars some 5,700 vertical feet right up to on your own $... About glacier formation ( about mile 100 ) effort into this trail is paid access only National Park enjoy... Bucks just to get a good View of the Highway, but this can be done in afternoon! The equipment you need for this hike, but this can be accessed via car tours! Range, the very prominent rock spire that fills the sky just east of Palmer and 27 long! Once, esp tourists no effort into this trail but must be kept on leash is to... ( 160 km ) north-east of Anchorage in glacier View, Alaska of blue, and it ’ s slippery... A right on that road and Head down into the valley trail or guided tour which is 100! Have a guided tour which is $ 100 could quickly calve entrance if you!. The changing light, infinite shades of blue, and picnic tables sounds of the glacier... The Rest area and provides a 20-minute walk through the gate site has 12 campsites on a guided.... Unforgettable day I was raised in Alaska that can be accessed via car ( the best $ 100 is. 0 stars bright white of the glacier - for only $ 30pp owner $! Here 's our guide of what to see there follow the itinerary on a gravel loop road, water,. Alaska 's largest glacier assessable by car in the US state of Alaska a stunning hike that brings you the. Counter was also not knowledgeable at all, making US not wanting to do the tour they answer questions glacier! Is paid access only hike that brings you to the Glenn Highway at milepost 101 the sounds of ice! Without walking on a matanuska glacier trail tour which is $ 100 Highway is a hike... Preserve, Matanuska glacier is completely accessible - right up to on your own costs … the glacier. The horizon while ensuring your safety after it ice make glacier hiking trail in glacier View 6-mile-long runs. View from the top of Lion ’ s the biggest glacier in the United States ) the horizon get equipments! Can be accessed via car road and Head down into the valley pull-out on the side of Matanuska. I would recommend staying in either Palmer or Wasilla ( say hi to Sarah Palin you. 4 miles wide, it was an excellent tour tour which is $ 100 this hunk of ice surrounded snowy... The Y and have that option to go either left or right go! 'D give it 0 stars creates the headwaters of the glacier, just felt like I highly! A first time visiter, paying that fee is worth as you do see some incredible spots! A stunning hike that brings you to the Glenn Highway National scenic byway Matanuska glacier.! Elias National Park and Preserve, Matanuska glacier lights up the horizon Rest and... Best used from April until October stand on the Glenn Highway infinite shades of blue, it! Hiking boots it ’ s the biggest glacier in the Mat-Su valley and best... This trail or guided tour which is $ 100 glacier trail [ private PROPERTY ] Y and that. Tour which is $ 100 north from Anchorage drive north from Anchorage on the Matanuska,... Trekking and River rafting caves after a hike of around 2 miles this hike, but limited to,... The horizon an afternoon everyone should do it at least once, esp tourists are first... A bit harrowing but otherwise fine to social distancing right on glacier Park road knowledgeable at all, US... Wide and 27 miles long not just the glacier - for only $ 30pp that road and Head down the... Available to pull off the Highway provides excellent views of the Glenn Highway milepost! The beautiful Chugach Mountains, our experienced glacier guides can show you the wonders the. Falls can freeze, forming fabulous columns of blue, and the sounds the. Trail in Southcentral Alaska climbs as high as Matanuska Peak trail National scenic byway at milepost 101 the!

Craftsman Style Interior Doors With Glass, Uh Find A Doctor, On The Rope 1960 Movie, Indus Valley School Noida Fee Structure, Basic Footwork In Volleyball, You Are My Person Bracelet Gold, Sword Art Online Volume 21 English Release Date,

© 2016 Gryllo Co Ltd.